Wednesday, December 13, 2006


Fasting
Last week Tom talked about fasting, the day before that I read about it in a journal. Then a few days ago I posted about eating habits. At the same time Jerry Hill posted about eating habits. Then a day ago Jerry posted about fasting. Soooooo, I though it was time to work this over a little.
I felt a work day would be the best for me. It's a day that has more structure to it. My worry was only that I would not feel well. I don't like to talk about my work to much. Yet, I should tell you that my job is physically demanding. First I'm on my feet for 13 hours. I get up at 4:30 to get ready, walk and feed dogs then drive 45 minutes to work. At work I have to be on my toes. Placing IV's, being an assistant with all kinds of little surgeries. Not to mention the grunt work of pushing 300# strectcher with 200# people on them. Doing CPR and being able to jump from that to placing an IV with steady hands. Or like yesterday running clear across the Hospital pushing a 100# crash cart then having my hands steady enough to put an IV while a Doctor is yelling at me. SOooo, I did not know how being hungry would work with all that.
My fast was gentle. I ate 1/2 cup of peanuts and raisins at 7am, then nothing till noon. At noon I had a sandwich. Then water cut with a little juice since I don't like water. From noon to 8pm nothing but that water. Came home and had a light dinner of soup. I know it's not true fasting but I felt it. My energy was fine. I felt hunger at around 5pm to 7pm. By 8pm I was hungry but not crazy hungry. Next week I will try a fruit and Veggie fast. I thought about food all day, which made me mad. All day people around me were pushing food into their pie holes. Which made it easy for me not to want to do that, as I watched them. I don't eat donuts and all that shit on any day but yesterday I noticed more. It was kinda gross. Over all it was a good thing for me to do. It made me realize that most of the time when we eat we don't need to. We have no idea what starving is!

4 comments:

Tom Brose said...

Its worth trying. I have not figured how long is best, and think it will take a bit of time to master. The real hard part of making it work was finding the right times. So far I have planned on doing Mon/Friday fasts, from dinner the night before up until about 6pm. I am not sleepy in the mid afternoon, and conversely to what I read in Muscle and fitness, seem to be recovering fine. Actually today I decided to wait until tonight to eat, so it will be 24 hours. Lots of water (and coffee in the AM or else somene will die). More results as we go.

JumaJuma said...

Jen, I'm not trying to be rude at all...just trying to understand. What is the point of fasting? Do you have any good links to recommend? Unfortunately, I've been working two classes and have not been able to make it to Xfit on Sundays with Tom, but I quit my evening/weekend job yesterday so hopefully I'll be able to get back out. I appreciate any insight you can provide on fasting for me.

Jen's Gym at Crossfit Watertown, CT said...

Juma, I've learned about fasting via http://performancemenu.com/
You should check it out get on the form and read about IF,Intermittant Fasting. You'll find it under Nutrition on the form.
Jen

JumaJuma said...

Hey Jen,

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely check it out later today.