Monday, December 24, 2007

Happy Holidays! My next Holiday guest is Emmie Woody. She is a true athlete and awesome women! Enjoy here story. You can find her working and working out at Primal Fitness in DC.


Hi, my name is Emmie Woody, I'm a wife and mother of two, I live in Silver Spring, Maryland, and I have been crossfit training for about 2 years. I have a fairly active background, from eleven years of dance, to basketball, rock climbing, hiking, and kayaking. In addition to what I consider play, I have tried to incorporate daily workouts into my routine, naturally in an effort to stay fit. Most of these workouts were simple fitness magazine suggestions, or messing around at the local Y, I was lucking if I broke a sweat. My husband Jesse Woody, (head trainer of Primal Fitness) had been telling me about this thing called crossfit, well after watching him workout, and checking out some of the videos, intimidating became a mere understatement. So after much convincing I tried my first WOD, needless to say I was panting, sweating, and grinning from ear to ear, and that was just after the warm-up. Upon completing the WOD, I felt absolutely amazing, I did it, I wasn't worried about my time or the amount of weight I used, I just relished in the simple fact that I was able to make it through, I didn't give up, even though I wanted to, but I didn't. The next day and the day after that I experienced a muscle pain and soreness like I had never felt before, but I didn't let that stop me from diving back into the squats again and again and again.


Since then I have continued training, recording and documenting my progress. My times have improved, the weights keep going up and huge accomplishments have been achieved. For example I started out having to do all my push ups on my knees and it took me about nine months before I was able to the them straight, now I wear a 20lb weight vest and knock out five at a time. But what I'm finding is yes, I'm physically capable of making it through a workout, what I didn't except, and find to be the most powerful, is the mental aspect, having my mind tell my body not to quit, to push through, harder, faster, stronger. And it is this mind power that I have carried over into other areas of my life, I push myself as a mother, wife, and with my day job. Constantly taking it to the next level, never settling less, keeping it, life, exciting new and adventurous, and I have crossfit to thank for that.

Today I'm an assistant trainer and event planner at Primal Fitness in DC. I have a 2008 goal of a 200lb deadlift, a muscle up, and 10 kipping pull-ups in a row. Can I do it, yes, with out a doubt I know I will accomplish these challenges and any others I set in front of me, because it's all about making it happen. So find your starting point and strive beyond the finish line, and most importantly, keep life exciting and fun, it's the only one you've got.

1 comment:

s said...

Awesome post. As I know Jesse from a cert last year when he was on crutches and messing about, I am sure you are a real amazing woman!! Thanks for sharing your story and what an impressive freestanding handstand. I think I can hold it about 5 sec now off the wall!